If you love pasta, then you must master this classical French mother sauce that is a base for a lot of sauces in the pasta making world. Bechamel sauce is a white sauce that is traditionally used as a base for other flavours, such as cheese and broccoli, but it is also the main component in a pasta dish like, lasagne. The actual French recipe is quite long with a lot of ingredients and cumbersome steps to the method, but to make it more convenient, we at Perfetto pasta are bringing you a quick and easy way to make Bechamel sauce.
One of the ways to cut down on the cooking time, is to make the ‘roux’ well in advance and store in the freezer. Roux is the semi-cooked butter and flour pasta that milk is added to, in the saucepan, to thicken the milk and turn it into the basic Bechamel sauce. Usually, this is the step that takes the most time, followed by the whisking of the roux and the milk in order to avoid formation of any lumps.
To avoid having to make roux every single time you need to make Bechamel sauce for a dish, pre-make roux ahead of time and store in the fridge for next day cooking, or in the freezer for up to 6 months. To make roux all you need to do is combine equal parts unsalted melted butter and flour in a sauce pan, until the raw flour smell dissipates and you’re left with a blonde biscuity colour; you will also know it is ready, by the aroma. For the health-conscious people, roux can be made using vegetable oil too.
Pro-tip, if you are using stored roux, make sure to bring it to room-temperature at the minimum, to avoid lumps, when combined with warm milk in the saucepan to make Bechamel sauce. Now, to the actual recipe.
So far, you have learned how to make roux, the basic component to a lovely Bechamel sauce. Let us tell you the rest.
Perfetto’s Easy and Quick Bechamel Sauce
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 375ml milk
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- ½ tsp nutmeg powder
- First step is to make the roux: melt the butter in a pan on a medium-low heat until it starts to bubble and foam. Then add the flour and cook it out on low heat, until it changes in colour and smell. Do not brown the flour.
- Stir vigorously or use a whisk and keep whisking, whilst adding in milk, gradually.
- Bring to a boil once all the milk has been incorporated and keep stirring.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes on low heat, until the sauce thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Add the nutmeg and salt pepper seasoning and combine.
- In case of the sauce being a little extra thick, add some water and combine.
Here’s another tip from the Chef, if you are not going to use the sauce right away for a dish, do not add in the nutmeg and salt pepper seasoning – and store it like that in the fridge or the freezer. Once you are ready to use your Bechamel sauce, heat it up again in a saucepan bringing it to the right consistency and add in your seasonings.
We also invite you to try the recipe made from Perfetto pasta at home using Béchamel sauce.
Easy and Simple Bechamel Pasta
- 1 pack Perfetto farfalle pasta
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 small white onion shopped
- 1 c spinach
- 1 c broccoli
- 1 c mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic, chopped
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- ½ c parmesan cheese
- ½ c cheddar cheese
- 2 cu bechamel sauce
- Boil the Perfetto farfalle pasta according to instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Melt 1 tbsp butter and drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil in a heated pan. Put in all the vegetables and let them cook on medium-to-low heat. Do not overcook them. Remove from pan.
- In another pan, add 1 tbsp of butter and then add the garlic and chilli flakes and stir.
- Add in the bechamel sauce and cook for 2 minutes on low heat, to warm it.
- Add the oregano and salt pepper seasoning.
- Now put in the boiled pasta and vegetables that were put aside. Toss until all are covered with sauce.
- Add in the two cheeses and melt. Keep stirring. Serve hot and immediately.