It’s okay to give into those cravings once in a while and help yourself to a dollop of good old-fashioned comfort food. Mac n Cheese is enjoying a resurgence worldwide and the creamy get back-to-basics treat with chewy pasta can often now be seen as a side dish in trendy restaurants.
This delicious pasta dish, which is easy and simple to make, boasts a long history. It is thought to have come from Italy and the first macaroni recipe from the late 13th century is believed to be de lasanis, which was made up of a macaroni, in this case, lasagne sheets made from fermented dough and cut into squares that were cooked in water and tossed with grated cheese, probably Parmesan. It was suggested to use powdered spices and to layer the sheets of lasagne, just like the delicious meal we enjoy today.
Moving forward to the 20th century, Mac n Cheese became a universal dish in the US after it was put into a box by the Kraft Company in 1937. It’s said that the classic American Mac n Cheese returned with US President Thomas Jefferson to Virginia after his stay in Italy. Jefferson brought back a pasta machine from Italy and it’s thought his daughter Mary Randolph invented the dish using macaroni and Parmesan cheese. Later, the Parmesan was replaced with cheddar cheese.
Recipe for Mac n Cheese with an Arabian Twist
- Cheddar cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
Cook the pasta (aldente style)
Prepare the sauce, in a saucepan, place the butter and a tablespoon of olive oil on medium heat until it melts, add the flour and whisk until it is slightly sautéed, but not that it gets red and add the milk gradually, stirring constantly with a whisk so that it is not lumped. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg. Leave until it boils.
Reduce the heat and add the cheese and stir until it melts and become a homogeneous sauce and then turn off the heat.
Drain the pasta, return to the pot and stir well until the pasta and melted cheese are homogenized.
Place in the serving dish, sprinkle with oregano.
Recipe for Mac N Cheese Spicy Cheetos
- 2 C Perfetto Elbow Rigati Pasta
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 C whole milk
- 2 C shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 ½ C crushed spicy Cheetos
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Boil the pasta as written on the pack.
- In a big pot melt the butter and flour and cook for about 1 minute. Add milk and whisk constantly while heating on medium heat until thickness. Season with salt and pepper.
- Take it off the heat and sprinkle in the cheese while stirring. When cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth fold in the cooked pasta.
- Turn the mac n cheese into a baking dish and top it with the Cheetos. Bake for 15-20 minutes and enjoy!